Date:      Wed, 5 Apr 2006 16:11:54 -0500
From:      linimon@lonesome.com (Mark Linimon)
To:        Albert Shih <shih@math.jussieu.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: Disappointed

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 10:15:00PM +0200, Albert Shih wrote:
>  Le 05/04/2006 à 16:07:27-0400, Kris Kennaway a écrit
> > On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 10:03:41PM +0200, Albert Shih wrote:
> > > Hi all
> > >
> > > I'm disappointed by the stablity of FreeBSD 6-stable (I known it's
> > > developpement branche).
> >
> > You forgot to provide pointers to your PRs.
>
> Well... I don't have one because I can't reproduce it.

I think what kris is trying to say is that if we don't know what the problem
is, there's no way that we can solve it.

This type of bug is the most dificult to isolate and fix; it probably involves
some kind of resource contention or race condition.  We have a large number of
people using 6.0 and 6-STABLE (and thus the prerelease code) and only a few
people are reporting stability problems.  There is clearly some triggering
factor such as workload that we don't understand yet.

Although GNATS is hardly ideally-suited to tracking this kind of problem, it's
the best system that we have right now (and, there may be no ideal system even
possible for such things).  So, as GNATS co-administrator, I encourage people
to file PRs for suspected stability problems.  I have been trying to track the
ones that have come in and so far I see no pattern to them at all.

Do you use quotas?  kern/91631 seems to comment on panics in this situation.

mcl