Date:      Wed, 10 May 2000 13:29:34 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
Subject:   sio, nrc and sym questions for NoName

Dear Alpha,

First off: my NoName board works! FreeBSD installed flawlessly. The
sysinstall background is red, but it is my understanding that that's a
feature. It won't have a monitor anyway, so don't rush out to fix this for
me. :-)

Good work, everyone!

It seems that the onboard NCR 810 is not recognized by the sym driver. I had
to use the ncr driver for it. Wilko, perhaps this might be useful to mention
in HARDWARE.TXT.

I tried building a kernel without any of the sio things, but it failed to
link, saying it was missing "comconsole" and "sionattach" IIRC. I never knew
that serial ports were an integral and mandatory part of FreeBSD. :) Is this
a bug^H^H^Hfeature? If so, HARDWARE.TXT might want to mention this too. I'll
file a PR if you think it should have linked fine without sio.

I noticed that ed0 is not in the generic kernel. Will my old isa NE1000 work
in that box, or should I (finally) buy some other NIC?

    Kees Jan