Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 1996 17:58:29 -0500 (EST)
From:      David J Meltzer <davem+@andrew.cmu.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ethernet packet sniffer.

Excerpts from internet.computing.freebsd-questions: 18-Jan-96 Re:
ethernet packet sniffer. by marino.ladavac@aut.alcat
> > Mike, I'm not saying it would be practical, but if her networking
> > department happens to have a Time Domain Reflectometer, which is common
> > communications equipment for high speed cables (many cable companies have
> > one) then every tap can be detected.  A TDR would spot everything, even
> > unused BNC taps.
>
> So would a Frequency Domain Reflectometer.

Is this for a connection made/not made, or can it actually determine if
a ethernet card on the network is being run in promiscuous mode or not, which
I think was the original question (and if so, could someone explain how)?

       |David Meltzer|
       |davem@cmu.edu|
 |School of Computer Science|
 |Carnegie Mellon University|