Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 00:47:27 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Philippe Regnauld <regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk>
Cc:        allen campbell <allenc@verinet.com>, config@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Config Databases

> 	  problem: how is the user supposed to know he made a mistake ?  You ca

He'll know it pretty conclusively, I think, when the change he just
made mysteriously has no effect whatsoever and doesn't show up in the
file. :)

> 	In the first suggestion (silently bouncing) means there's not even
> 	_trace_ of the mods, right ?  Hmmm..

Right.  I'm not saying that this behavior is ideal, far from it, I'm
simply saying that this is the lowest-impact approach and will require
the least programming headache.  Unless we're all just discussing this
as an intellectual exercise, of course, and there's no intention of
actually implementing it in which case by all means let's discuss all
the errors one might pass back on close() in hopes that the
application will even check the return value. :-)

Succeeding silently and using secret knowledge of the file format to
tack in comments also strikes me as a cute but ultimately untenable
workaround, so I really do vote for the simpler approach.

					Jordan