Date:      Sun, 9 Nov 1997 21:26:54 -0700 (MST)
From:      Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
To:        Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDT processors?

Charles Mott writes:
 > On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Atipa wrote:
 > > > P.S.  Have any FreeBSD users tried out the new IDT chip?
 > >
 > > What/Who is IDT? I heard about some So. CA startup company using the
 > > SGS/Thompson Fab. Is that them?
 >
 > IDT (Integrated Device Technologies) makes alot of odds and ends chips.  I
 > used to use them for fast static RAM chips in custom board designs.  I
 > wouldn't count these guys out.  They might be pretty good.

Actually, they've been around for quite some time.  This have a pretty
good line of embedded MIPS risc chips, and I think they did one or two
of the early SPARC chips.  SPARC-1 timeframe, if I remember right.
Might be doesn't apply here, but marketing came go along way in
"overcoming" competent engineering; look at Digital.