Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 12:16:39 -0500
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   portmap

	Hi, I saw this in the security how-to at
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~jkb/howto.html
"By default FreeBSD comes with portmapper enabled. If you don't have a
need for it: disable it. You will not have a need for portmap daemon if
you are not using any programs which require RPC."

	And I saw other people ask in the archives if it is necessary and
people said to read portmap(8) and that would tell you if it is
necessary.  It doesn't.  I don't think I need any of the things
mentioned there or in /etc/rpc, but how would I know?  I install lots
of ports to learn about things.  Is there anything unexpected that
could break if  I put portmap_enable="NO"  in /etc/rc.conf ?
By unexpected I mean anything not in portmap or /etc/rpc or something
that uses those that is not obvious.
	My guess would be no, but then why is portmap enabled by default?  I
don't want to start a flamewar here, but I'm genuinely confused.
Any info would be appreciated.  Thank you,

						Tim