Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 2021 13:51:34 -0500
From:      Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
To:        Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com>
Cc:        Karl Dunn <kldunn@hiwaay.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dell XPS 8940 SATA and NVMe disk controller not recognized

> On Apr 3, 2021, at 2:37 PM, Barney Wolff <barney@databus.com> wrote:
>=20
> On Sat, Apr 03, 2021 at 02:25:30PM -0500, Karl Dunn wrote:
>> I have new Dell XPS 8940 that came with Windows 10 Home installed.  I =
have=20
>> created two partitions for FreeBSD, one on its NMVe 256GB SSD, and =
one on=20
>> its WD 1TB HD.
>>=20
>> For now, I have 12.2-RELEASE-p4 GENERIC on a USB memstick, so I can =
do=20
>> some limited testing.
>>=20
>> FreeBSD 12.2 does not recognize the SATA/RAID controller, which I =
assume=20
>> is resposible (in Win10) for accising both drives.
>>=20
>> The relevant pcoconf line for the controlleris:
>>=20
>>  none7@pci0:0:23:0: class=3D0x010400 card=3D0x09c51028 =
chip=3D0x06d68086 rev=3D0x00 hdr=3D0x00
>>     vendor     =3D 'Intel Corporation'
>>     class      =3D mass storage
>>     subclass   =3D RAID
>=20
> See if the BIOS offers a choice of configuring the controller as SATA =
instead of RAID. That worked for me on an Inspiron 1180. (It also made =
W10 unbootable - apparently each OS occupies its own universe.)

That is what I do on laptops that come with Intel SATA chip configured =
for [fake] RAID =E2=80=9Coperation": I switch in BIOS/UEFI away from =
RAID to AHSI or IDE. But before doing that if you still want installed =
MS Windows to boot after switch, do this:

=
https://www.mysysadmintips.com/windows/clients/771-change-sata-operation-m=
ode-from-raid-to-ahci-without-re-installing-windows

Valeri