Date:      Sat, 18 Jan 1997 01:42:17 GMT
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@jandrese.async.vt.edu>
To:        keithl@wakko.gil.net, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vi and mapping keys

Sorry I can't help you with your problem, however I also like Vi.  Anyway, I have found an excellent vi-like program vim (which stands for vi improved), which does away with a lot of the annoying aspects of vi (as options).  Vim can act almost entirly like vi, or like a somewhat friendlier editor (features like deleting anywhere with the backspace key when in insert mode, deleteing/auto-append lines, and a little reminder on the bottom of the screen telling you what mode your in (plus a lot more).
The port is in ports-current/editors/vim/
Just thought you'd like to know.