Date:      Tue, 26 Nov 2002 14:07:34 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: changing directory listing type

On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 03:51:43PM +0200, =D6zg=FCr =D6zaslan wrote:

> I'm a new FreeBSD user and using FreBSD 4.6.2. I wonder if it is possible=
> colour directories in blue or symbolic links to another like linux system=
s.
> Now all them are in the same white colour. Is this simple? Thanks...

Simple enough.  If you log into the console without using X-windows,
all you need to do is:

    ls -G

to see the pretty colours.  To save typing, you can alias 'ls' to 'ls
-G' in your shell configuration files:

    alias ls      ls -G                # .tcshrc, .cshrc

or

    alias ls=3D'ls -G'                   # .shrc, .bashrc

If you're using xterm(1) under X-Windows, you need to do the above,
plus you need to tell xterm to use a terminal type that supports
colours.  For some reason hidden in the mists of time, the default
'xterm' terminal type under FreeBSD is better known elsewhere as
'xterm-mono', and you have to change to using 'xterm-color' to get the
colourization you want --- this makes quite a difference to several
programs like mutt, emacs, /stand/sysinstall which do full screen
character based stuff.  Simply put:

    xterm*termName:         xterm-color

into your ~/.Xdefaults file, and if necessary add:

    [ -f ${HOME}/.Xdefaults ] && /usr/X11R6/bin/xrdb -merge ${HOME}/.Xdefau=
lts

somewhere near the top of your .xsession or .xinitrc file.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way