Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 19:51:54 +0100
From:      Cejka Rudolf <cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz>
To:        Eric Lee Green <eric@estinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Troubles with Mammoth2 if there is a tape error

Eric Lee Green wrote (2001/01/17):
> Well, first I would say that it is a bug in the firmware that you're
> testing -- after the first time that the tape drive attempts to write that
> block on tape, it should be reported as an immediate error, not as a
> deferred error.

Hmm, so what to do now?

Does anybody have close relationship with Exabyte?

At this time I'm sure that I can not kill dd process and in
/var/log/messages there are no immediate errors - just deferred errors.
But I still do not know, what commands flow over SCSI bus (is CAMDEBUG
sufficient?).

> have a deferred error (it's inherent in buffered tape i/o), but the drive
> is supposed to know for further writes that it should send an immediate
> error.

If I can not kill -9 dd, are any further writes without dd possible?

--
Rudolf Cejka   (cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz;  http://www.fee.vutbr.cz/~cejkar)
Brno University of Technology, Faculty of El. Engineering and Comp. Science