Date:      Fri, 21 Jan 2005 14:43:35 -0800
From:      Michael Collette <metrol.net@gmail.com>
To:        ale@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   MySQL 4.0.23a on 5-STABLE has a startup glitch

On 5-STABLE I am unable to get mysql-server-4.0.23a to start with the
rcng script.  Upon launching the script it dumps me to a prompt owned
by the mysql user.  I have run into one other user on the mailing
lists with the same exact problem.

Details:
In /etc/rc.conf the following is set:
mysql_enable="YES"

I am able to start up mysqld_safe manually.

I am also able to use the old rc script to get a proper startup for
MySQL.  Only the rcng script fails in this manner.

This leads me to a couple of concerns beyond just getting MySQL to
run, as I've just switched on over to the old rc script.

Is everyone having this problem with the rcng script or is it just a few of us?
How is the mysql user able to drop to a command prompt at all?  Are
there some security issues here?
Should the port be modified back to the old rc script until this
problem is corrected?

Thanks,
--
"When you come to a fork in the road....Take it"
- Yogi Berra