Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 1995 08:57:37 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        jdl@jdl.com (Jon Loeliger)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.0 Install went smoothly!

As Jon Loeliger wrote:

> - I wasn't sure what a "normal partition" was to be compatible with
>   other OSes on a disk after I hit "A" for a total disk layout.  What
>   was I doing before when I selected "A"?  [Did that English right? :-]

Provide us with a better wording. :-)

My first text was even more disleading, this is Jordan's version.

The point is, that people who are selecting the ``dangerously
dedicated'' option (assign the entire disk from 0 to the very last
sector to FreeBSD) are likely to shoot in their foot if they are going
to install a BIOS-int13-using system (like MezzDos) after installing
FreeBSD.  (My colleague did it these days, installed DOS on a machine
that has been used as a FreeBSD demo at a fair -- it didn't boot.
fdisk /mbr did the trick then.)

OTOH, people who are really sure that the machine is not about to see
anything else than FreeBSD in this life should be encouraged to use
the non-default option, in particular all those with SCSI disks.  They
get in return to never ever worry again about the term ``geometry''.
Geometry, geometry, what's this? :-)

--
cheers, J"org