Date:      Tue, 03 Oct 2000 13:17:04 -0700
From:      xavian anderson macpherson <professional3d@home.com>
To:        BWS - Offwhite <brennan@offwhite.net>, "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>, Bob Martin <bob@buckhorn.net>, Christopher Rued <c.rued@xsb.com>, "Crist J . Clark" <cjclark@reflexnet.net>, Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>, "fatboy@linuxbr.com.br" <fatboy@linuxbr.com.br>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>, James Preece <james.preece@uk.easynet.net>, John <papalia@udel.edu>, "keith@mail.telestream.com" <keith@mail.telestream.com>, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>, Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>, Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Oscar Ricardo Silva <oscars@mail.utexas.edu>, "Person, Roderick" <personrp@ccbh.com>, Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@inwind.it>
Subject:   is there a /boot directory in freebsd as there is in linux?

i have decided to send this to everyone in my freebsd personal mailing
list.  please inform me if you prefer to receive html, so that i can set
it in my browser.  right now only a few of you will (should) receive
this in html.  personally, i prefer it.  so if you use a browser that
offers me a choice, please set me to yes.

thank you for your response(s).  i hope you have since noticed that i
have indeed changed my tone (or at least tried to).   i hope that i will
not be considered to be as confrontational as before.  as i found out
later, some of the problem was that the answers i was searching for, are
in fact not in the book.  much of the problem stems from the fact that
there are major dissimilarities between FreeBSD and linux.

there is no mention of a /boot directory in the complete freebsd.  i
looked on page 230 and in the index.  i have also looked on the web.  no
mention of /boot.  i was told that i cannot start my root `/' directory
from a vinum drive.  because the kernel has to be loaded for the vinum
drives to be accessed.  this should not be a problem if there was a
separate /boot directory which can be mounted on it's own partition; as
it is currently on my system.

/dev/hda1 /boot
/dev/hdd1 /

i have not yet had anyone answer me as to whether or not there is a
/boot directory in FreeBSD.  if there is not; where is the operational
kernel located (the one that runs the system)?  what is the name of that
directory (if there is one)?  is the kernel just `out in the open' as i
have seen with the (default) Makefile for compiling the linux kernel?  i
saw something about BootEasy being kept in the MBR; but i don't think
the MBR is a valid directory.  in linux i have a separate partition for
my /boot directory.  i have to, or i wouldn't be able to start my
computer!  my `/' directory is out of range for that 1024 cylinder
limit.  in fact, it's (my current operational kernel) on my 4th drive (i
have another [3 linux-mandrake kernels] on the third drive; which i can
`chroot /mnt' to)  i am quite sure that FreeBSD is subject to the same
limitations as every other system that runs on x86 architecture; namely
that all of the boot mechanisms must be below the 1024 cylinder limit
set by intel chips.

if anything is true, i am not a casual user!  maybe sometimes i've done
things to get myself in over my head, but i do try to pay attention to
the details.  that's why i didn't want to do anything until i knew for
certain how to proceed!  i am trying to be as good as avoiding mistakes
as i am at making them!  ;-)