Date:      Thu, 25 Apr 1996 17:05:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Branson Matheson <branson@longstreet.larc.nasa.gov>
To:        CombsSF@salem.ge.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: Net connected printer

> I have to agree,  We've got over a hundred JetDirect equiped HP Laserjets
> which ALL have IP addresses and are used all the time with lpr/lpd.  In
> fact our VMS access to these printers is via lpr/lpd (TGV Multinet).  We
> even (with a FreeBSD box in-between, 'cuz of IBM's decision to send the
> data file BEFORE sending the control file) use them to print from a series
> of IBM mainframes scattered all over the world!
>
> We also use Castille Lanpress boxes for printers which won't/don't accept
> a JetDirect (Genecom,etc line-printers).

 Speaking of such.. I am using the output filter program suggested in
the handbook. I have had to make some local modifications to this
program to handle some of the pecularities of our site. One of these
is adding a sleep line at the end of the program so that all of the
data makes it to the port. Has anyone else dealt with these issues?

 -branson

Ummm... one more thing.. I have noticed that using this script and
FreeBSD's lpd implimentation adds a linefeed to the end of my files.
It seems to be comming from lpd. I have defined the ff char to be
empty and the problem goes away.. I could not find this in the
documentation.