Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 13:42:26 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Normand Leclerc <leclercn@videotron.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CDROM sector size changing (was CDROM sector size on 4.5)

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 13:35:36 -0400, Normand Leclerc wrote:
>   I reported a sector change on a SCSI CDRW which is hardware set to
> 512bytes; it changes to 2048.  I was unable to say when it did change
> until now.
>
>   Whenever I burn a CD with cdrecord and the software is killed (say a
> terminal shutdown) before completion of the CD, my sector size is
> switched to 2048.  I have to reboot in order to get my 512bytes sectors.

Makes sense.  It is probably tweaking a mode page somewhere, and resets the
value when it exits.  If you exit prematurely, it doesn't set the sector
size back to 512 bytes.

You might also get it to reset the sector size back to 512 bytes if you can
figure out which mode page parameter (or other parameter) is getting
changed.  Or you can reset the drive.  e.g.:

camcontrol reset 0:4:0

That might cause the drive to go back to its default configuration.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org