Date:      Mon, 25 Feb 2002 15:54:21 -0800
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Disk Quota Concepts

I have spent most of the day trying to impletment a ftp server as
described at http://www.freebsddiary.org/ftp-anonymous.php.  Step one
says to either create a partition for incoming or use quotas to limit
the space used.  The examples go on using the partition option but I
chose to use quotas and have followed the directions in the Handbook.

I have a 4 GB disk that I wish to devote to ftp.  I'm not sure if my
vocabulary is correct but I'll try.  I created 1 partition on 1 slice
using the entire drive and mounted it as /ftp.  So /dev/da1s1h is now
mounted as /ftp.  Next I created /ftp/etc, /ftp/pub, and /ftp/incoming
as suggested in the example.  After that, I went on to try and implement
a quota for the ftp account on /ftp/incoming.  But from everything I've
read, quotas can only be implemented at the file system level which in
this case would be /ftp?  Does this mean I can not use quotas to limit
the amount of space that can be used in /ftp/incoming?  I chose not to
create a separate partition for /ftp/incoming, thinking that by using
quotas, I could reallocate space for it as needed without being locked
in as I would by creating a separate partition.

So what are my options?  My goal is to imit the maximum amount of space
available on /ftp/incoming while leaving the rest of the drive available
for ftp downloads.

Thanks for your time,

Drew