Date:      Tue, 14 Apr 1998 13:48:23 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Jean-Paul Beconne <beconne@nmrc.ucc.ie>, beconne@nmrc.ucc.ie, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mounting Windows 95 partitions

Jean-Paul Beconne:
 |wd0s3		Windows 95 (FAT 16)	15 (5)		4 Mo
 |mount -t msdos /dev/wd0s3 /dos
 |and got the following message : "mount: msdos: wd0s3 invalid device"
 |I went back to Win 95 and installed the filesystem (Win 95) on this
 |partition but I got the same message when I tried again to mount it.
 |Why can I not mount this partition ?

Just a sanity check, but make sure the special file /dev/wd0s3 exists.  If
not, to create it:

     cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV wd0s3

Now try your command again (which looks fine by the way).

 |What is the purpose of wd0s4 (unknown OS) which uses 80 Mo ?

All DOS partitioned disks have 4 DOS primary partition slots which may or
may not be assigned space.  You can put DOS primary partitions in these,
FreeBSD, OS/2, DOS extended partitions, etc.  But there are 4.  Note that
FreeBSD calls these 4 DOS partition slots "slices", since it has its own
entities called "partitions" which exist inside of its "slice".

>From your wd0s4 (Disk 0, Slice 4) entry, it looks like you just have 80Meg
left over at the end of your disk that isn't being used for anything right
now.

Ruslan Ermilov:
 |You should use /dev/wd0s3c to mount ms-dos partition.

What??  Why?  I've never used the c partition in my several years of
mounting numbers of DOS/95 partitions, only the slice device and it
works fine.

Randall