Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 2021 07:26:07 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Klaus_K=C3=BCchemann?= <maciphone2@googlemail.com>
To:        Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>, freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rpi4b main-n245392-8423f5d4c12 won't boot due to microsd timeout [FIXED]

> Am 16.03.2021 um 02:50 schrieb Mark Millard via freebsd-arm =
<freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>:
>=20
> So there would seem to be no urgent aspect of
> existing RPi[34] u-boot ports vs. Klaus K.'s
> build(s) to lead Klaus to put up reviews on
> Phabricator for updates to:
>=20
> sysutils/u-boot-rpi-arm64
> sysutils/u-boot-rpi3
> sysutils/u-boot-rpi4

Well, while it would be possible to suggest (pre-)-patches e.g. in =
sysutils/u-boot-rpi4 for review, if necessary ...
it=E2=80=99s not possible to upgrade u-boot-release-versions only for =
the RPI in its single-ports,
because there is a single =E2=80=9AMasterdir`- u-boot which will upgrade =
all u-boot-single-ports in the ports-tree.

masterdir-upgrades usually come relatively slow in FreeBSD, sometimes =
weeks after the upstream.
So if we want u-boot release-candidates (-rc) , faster ports-upgrades or =
add own features, upstream-patches: we have to compile them ourselves.=20=

That=E2=80=99s why I upload them sometimes to somewhere for some =
reason(testing, patches, whatever). Fortunately u-boot is not as much =
error-prone as the firmware so uploads of u-boot - rc  can be more seen =
as feature.

As an example it would be possible to apply patches to :
> sysutils/u-boot-rpi-arm64
> sysutils/u-boot-rpi3
> sysutils/u-boot-rpi4
But the maintainers then  always have look if patches made it upstream =
and then remove/change=20
them again for every single port with the next release=E2=80=A6 =
understandable why they would not like that :-) =E2=80=A6.while on the =
other hand it=E2=80=99s not so uncommon to apply patches before they =
make it upstream in u-boot.
So self-compiling  makes life a bit easier.

K.