Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2001 17:23:59 +0200
From:      "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>
To:        Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Blank root window with gdm-2.2.3.2

--EEx6GiKZGZ1wKUra

Joe Clarke(marcus@marcuscom.com)@2001.08.17 11:26:47 +0000:
> I just upgraded to gdm-2.2.3.2 last night on my 4.3-RELEASE machine, and
> noticed that it never really comes up.  I start gdm, and then the X root
> window pops up, but no gdm.  I have had 2.2.2.1 working fine for a long
> time.
>=20
> I have the PAM entries, and the gdm user and group.  I also have the
> default configuration.  I'm running the latest gnome pieces compiled from
> ports.  There is nothing in the X logs, and truss doesn't reveal the
> process doing anything.

conflicting libraries. your gdm is linked against the old ones.
first remove the complete gnome install, including all referenced libs
and the install the gnome metaport again.

this fixed it for me

/k

>=20
> Anyone else seeing this?
>=20
> Joe Clarke
>=20
>=20

--=20
> Markets are self-correcting. That's why I trust markets more than
> governments. Governments usually aren't self-correcting, until too late.=
=20
> --Interview with Walter Wriston as reported in Wired 4.10=20
KR433/KR11-RIPE -- WebMonster Community Founder -- nGENn GmbH Senior Techie
http://www.webmonster.de/ -- ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ -- http://www.ngenn.n=
et/
karsten&rohrbach.de -- alpha&ngenn.net -- alpha&scene.org -- catch@spam.de
GnuPG 0x2964BF46 2001-03-15 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 B=
F46
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 1=
0x

--EEx6GiKZGZ1wKUra

--EEx6GiKZGZ1wKUra--