Date:      Sat, 07 May 2005 21:27:03 +0100
From:      jcr <jcr@canuck.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   half-dead 5.[34]

>Weird thing happened this morning though, suddenly the box seemed half-dead.
>I didn't touch it, someone else noticed because they weren't able to ssh in.
>TCP connection established, but no auth phase.
>I also noticed in my active ssh sessions, that things were "dead", in the
>sense that when on the shell prompt, pressing ENTER only gave me a new,
>blank line. Logging in via serial console didn't work either, put in
>username and press ENTER and nothing happened.

This may be unrelated, but I had almost exactly these symptoms on April
1st with RELENG_5_3 built from March 25th cvsup.  SSH connection got a
bit further.  prompted on remote system with correct key fingerprint,
but got no further.  Same scroll-only behavior on console, I could still
change vtys, but each had the problem. No response to ctl-alt-del, so
pulled plug.  No jails or unionfs, running Apache1.3, mysql4.1, PHP 4
and Zend ZDE server 4.  msi km4m-v, 256 ddr333, AthlonXP1800+.  Last
thing in syslog was making xpdf from ports.  I put it down at the time
to having earlier tried to launch openoffice installer from the machine
over ssh-tunneld-X, which never come up.  Figured it had quietly eaten
all the mem or such.  Hasn't recurred, box is otherwise absolutely stable.

--
</jcr>