Date:      Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:59:49 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen@punkt.de>
To:        Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with telnet

Hello!

Kirk Strauser wrote:

> > I updated my machine to the latest stable source yesterday (2/27/03) and
> > I'm now getting this message when [attempting to] telneting into it:
>
> On a side note, if you're interested enough in security to deal with
> Kerberos, you should permanently lose telnet.  Seriously.  SSH does
> everything telnet will and doesn't have the gaping security hole of
> transferring plaintext data across a network.

I can think of a setup where the possibility of bugs in the much
more complex sshd application outweighs the remote chance of someone
sniffing by quite a margin.

Think of ISP infrastructure, a switched network completely under
your control.

OpenSSH has had its share of security holes and while I generally
agree with you that it's a good idea to use ssh where appropriate,
I don't share the general "telnet is bad because it's plain text
hysteria" ;-)

Just my $.02
Patrick M. Hausen
Technical Director
--
punkt.de GmbH         Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Scheffelstr. 17 a     Tel. 0721 9109 -0 Fax: -100