Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 21:20:28 -0800
From:      paul <paulbeard@mac.com>
To:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   This seems unhelpful

http://www.FreeBSD.org/docs/en/books/faq/networking.html#CREATE-DEV-NET

I'm stumbling thru an install of freeBSD and I came across what looked =
like a helpful FAQ response. Following it's instructions, I found that =
rc.network is *not* where you make these changes, but rather =
/etc/defaults/rc.conf.=20

Of course, /etc/rc.network says not to edit it without telling someone =
about it. /etc/defaults/rc.conf says not to edit it, but instead the =
specific rc.* file needed.=20

All I really want is to create an interface to bind my PC card NIC to. =
This may be more UNIX than linux -- I'll grant that -- but does it have =
to be this obfuscated?=20

I'm used to a simple direct syntax like ifconfig ed0 192.168.2.6 up. Is =
that not possible here?=20