Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2002 21:08:56 +0200
From:      "Toomas Aas" <toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee>
To:        "Costa, Rodrigo Luiz Vargas (Rodrigo)" <rlcosta@lucent.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation of FreeBSD using volume manager

Hi!

> 	I would like to ask you if is possible, and after which version,
> install FreeBSD using virtual disks (like Veritas Volume Manager or VINUM).
> Is this possible?

It seems that Greg Lehey hasn't got the time to read lists right now,
so I'll just chime in and say that TTBOMK it is not possible to have
root partition on vinum volume, at least in FreeBSD 4.x.

It seems to me that this is kind of chicken-and-egg problem - if the
support for vinum volumes is implemented as a module (vinum.ko), then
you need to load this module before you can access the logical volume.
Hence, vinum.ko itself can't be on a vinum volume :-)
--
Toomas Aas | toomas.aas@raad.tartu.ee | http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
* ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI!