Date:      Tue, 27 Oct 1998 19:22:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bob K <melange@yip.org>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Here's a simple one

On Tue, 27 Oct 1998, Doug White wrote:

> > On my home computer, I dual-boot between Win95b and an oldish (2months)
> > -current snapshot.  Now, under 95, I have a logical drive in an extended
> > partition (/dev/wd0s9) that's about 70 megs that is dedicated just to swap
> > space.  The question is:  If I mount this as swap under FreeBSD, would
> > this cause problems with win95?  (Specifically, I don't know if win95
> > would still recognize it as FAT16, and thus not see it at all without a
> > formatting)
>
> Even if swapon would allow you to identify a FAT partition as a swap
> partition (and I highly doubt it does), the data on the partition would be
> trashed.

Well, the point was that the partition is already expendable (the only
thing it contains is win386.swp), and in the event of it being completely
clean win95 would simply recreate the swap file.

I suppose I could put a format g: /autotest in my autoexec.cfg, but I kind
of view that as being a tad dangerous, given the ease in which drive
letters change.  The delay at startup wouldn't be much, since the
partition is a measly 70 megs...

melange@yip.org - "Slightly tacky but completely entertaining"