Date:      Thu, 03 Nov 2005 20:16:38 +0100
From:      Pav Lucistnik <pav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
Cc:        Felix 'buebo' Kakrow <buebo@buebo.de>, freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Mainboard for amd64 (and some other questions)

--=-cKJGxk6YA5jlXGF0C0J6

Roland Smith p=ED=B9e v =E8t 03. 11. 2005 v 20:13 +0100:
> On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 06:40:05PM +0100, Felix 'buebo' Kakrow wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'm looking for a Mainboard for an amd64 desktop machine. I know the =20
> > list of supported mainboards on freebsd.org and I'f tried to find a =20
> > something with google, but the combination of PCI-Express and fully =20
> > (or even mostly) supported seems to be very hard to find.
>=20
> AFAIK, FreeBSD nor Xorg supports PCI-Express yet.

The happy existence of a PCI-Express based Geforce card in my coworker's
FreeBSD workstation would suggest otherwise.

> > Iam looking for board with a fast chipset (something like the =20
> > nForce4), SATA, gigabit ethernet and sound on-board supported in =20
> > RELENG-6.
>=20
> Avoid nForce chipsets; they don't work well with most free OS/s.

Avoid nForce 2 and 3 series. nForce 4 seems to be quite okay.

> > Can anybody recommend a mainboard?
>=20
> Anything with a VIA K8T800 will work well. I've used an MSI NEO FSR
> (MS-6702) and a Asus A8V DeLuxe, and they both work.

http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/amd64/motherboards.html

--=20
Pav Lucistnik <pav@oook.cz>
              <pav@FreeBSD.org>

Squish. Larger than the normal icky things, and twice as icky.

--=-cKJGxk6YA5jlXGF0C0J6

--=-cKJGxk6YA5jlXGF0C0J6--