Date:      Wed, 22 May 1996 18:13:41 +0000 ()
From:      Pedro A M Vazquez <vazquez@IQM.Unicamp.BR>
To:        scott@statsci.com, jonny@coe.ufrj.br
Cc:        jimd@mistery.mcafee.com, root@bonsai.its.utas.edu.au, FreeBSD-Questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ip masquerading

Scott Blachowicz said:

> Jim Dennis <jimd@mistery.mcafee.com> wrote:
>
> > 		SLiRP: (a Linux user/level IP emulator)
>
> SLiRP doesn't really have anything to do with Linux (aside from it's being
> a Unix box that the software can run on).  Actually, I think its code is
> based on the BSD networking source code.

Yes, indeed, from slirp.doc:

* 4.4BSD TCP/IP code base.  The TCP/IP code is based on 4.4BSD which is
  widely regarded as a very stable and complete implementation.  This means
  it does all the things expected of TCP implementations. E.g: slow start,
  congestion avoidance, exponential back-off, round-trip-time calculation,
  delayed ACKs, Nagle algorithm, incoming and outgoing IP fragments, etc.
  The TCP/IP code was actually taken from the excellent FreeBSD 2.0 sources.
  In fact, I went out of my way to do as little modification to it as
  possible.  Most things that I regarded as unnecessary (E.g.: the rfc1323
  performance enhancements) were simply commented out, so if you want to
  experiment with them, you can.

And from ChangeLog:

- Updated portions of the TCP/IP code to FreeBSD 2.0.5.  Most of the changes
  in 2.0.5 relate to T/TCP and hash lookup of the TCP/UDP control blocks.
  These updates are not all that beneficial to slirp, so I won't incorporate
  them yet.

this linux-centric vision remembers me of "the `linux tcp_wrappers'"
someone asked on the lists sometime ago.

Pedro