Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2006 01:02:37 -0400
From:      Jonathan Noack <noackjr@alumni.rice.edu>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        sem@freebsd.org
Subject:   portsclean deleting too many distfiles

--------------enigFFBC8366DD0734916693E9B4

The first time I ran 'portsclean -D' after upgrading to portupgrade
2.1.4_2,1, it deleted all distfiles for ports that were not installed on
that machine.  However, I have /usr/ports/distfiles shared via NFS to my
cluster, so now all the distfiles for ports installed on other machines
are gone.  The machine I ran portsclean on was headless, so I lost EVERY
X-related distfile.  This is especially painful as these tend to be the
biggest (e.g. OpenOffice is over 200MB).

=46rom the portsclean man page on the -D/--distclean option:
"Clean out all the distfiles that are not referenced by any port in the
ports tree.  Specified twice (i.e. -DD), clean out all the distfiles
that are not referenced by any port that is currently installed. (cf.
DISTDIR)"

I did not specify it twice (because I have 'portsclean -D' aliased to
'pc') so I guess there is a regression in portupgrade 2.1.4.

-Jonathan

--=20
Jonathan Noack | noackjr@alumni.rice.edu | OpenPGP: 0x991D8195