Date:      Thu, 10 Oct 1996 08:59:03 +0200 (IST)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        "Timothy P. Layton, Sr." <tlayton@global-sol.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: popper[186] errors ?

On Wed, 9 Oct 1996, Timothy P. Layton, Sr. wrote:

> I am getting this error at my console:
> popper[186]:(V2.2) unable to get canonical name of client, err=0.
>
> What is this telling me ?  I'n no popper/sendmail expert.
>
> Thanks in advance.
> Tim-
>
> -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
> Timothy P. Layton, Sr.
> Global Solutions Corporation
> ------------------------------------

Already asked and answered, also RTFM. From man 8 popper:

       The popper pro-
       gram initializes and verifies that the peer IP address  is
       registered  in the local domain, logging a warning message
       when a connection is made to a  client  whose  IP  address
       does not have a canonical name.  For systems using BSD 4.3
       bind, it also checks to see if a  cannonical  name  lookup
       for the client returns the same peer IP address, logging a
       warning message if it does not.

Or, simply put, popper will check that the client has reverse DNS
translation (from IP numbers to host.domain) in the current domain (the
same as the one popper is running on). It will also check if translating
that name back would give the same IP address. Your message indicates
that this lookup failed, probably because your reverse translation is
messed up. It's not harmful though.

Nadav