Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 1999 12:35:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@iaces.com>
To:        jason@townnews.com (Jason)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CPU Upgrade

In a previous message, Jason said:
> We're running FreeBSD 2.2.5-Stable on a slower system, and we'd like to
> upgrade the processor in the machine. WIll we need to recompile the
> kernel if we perform this upgrade? If so, I'd appreciate the details on
> why (I'm a curious sort when it comes to things like this). I can't seem
> to find any solid information on the subject...

You won't need to if you aren't changing processor types. But if you're thinking
of one of those upgrade chips to take a 75-150MHz machine up to 333MHz, AMD
K6-2, then I'd suggest you save your money. I put one in to replace a Cyrix P150+,
and didn't notice any change in Windows 98 (I haven't put FreeBSD on that
machine).

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jason Blue
> jason@townnews.com

If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?