Date:      Fri, 19 Jul 2002 19:57:38 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Kernel config problem with 4.6-STABLE...  [solution]

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 11:46 -0400, Mark D wrote:

> If anyone is interested, I have the solution.
>
> After the buildworld I configured my kernel the "old way" (config
> KERNEL; make depend;make;make install). Using Make buildkernel
> KERNCONF=KERNEL;make installkernel KERNCONF=KERNEL worked nicely. Maybe
> it's not the perfect solution, but it did the job and I'm not
> complaining.

It might have been mentioned in the thread before, but I feel like
repeating it once more.  And don't just take the "you" as you,
Mark.  It's the general you as in "the list subscribers and anyone
who feels like fiddling with the source tree".

Don't make the above buildworld/buildkernel sequence sound like
a mere workaround.  It is the one and only supported way to to
it, it is described in detail in UPDATING (which you are supposed
to read should you upgrade from the source).  It is the official
way to build a kernel.  You are not allowed to cry "it's broken"
if you did not run this very sequence.  Only if buildkernel fails
(which might need some recent tools which is why a buildworld
with the same dates / revisions as the kernel source tree has
to preceed it) is when "the tree is broken and needs fixing".
And in this case it still could be your fault due to a local
make.conf or something.  UPDATING and the handbook can tell you
the whole story should you want to be safe.

Of course you are free to work with the source whatever way you
wish to.  You might get away with compiling your kernel "the old
fashioned way".  But you are supposed to know what you are doing.
Should you fail the blame is yours completely. :)  And should you
insist in going your own way of building the source you are
supposed to (be able to) help yourself should you fail to succeed.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net