Date:      Thu, 14 Jun 2001 14:48:45 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@usrlib.org>
To:        Steve Dobbs <Steve.Dobbs@networktelephone.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86-4.1.0 & intel 810 graphics

On Thu, Jun 14, 2001 at 02:33:39PM -0500, Steve Dobbs wrote:
> I have a box that has the intel 810 graphics set built on the motherboard,
> and have attempted to install XFree86 4.1.0 on it, which is the version that
> is supposed to support the 810 on FreeBSD, but I cannot the XF86Config to
> successfully complete.  One piece of info on xfree86.org says that 4.1.0
> supports the intel 810 on FreeBSD with the agpgart kernel support.  I have
> never heard of agpgart, and can find no reference to it in any docs that I
> have seen.  Can someone 1) enlighten me as to what agpgart is and tell me
> how to make sure its on my machine, 2) give me any other tips that I might
> need to get xf86 installed on my system....
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Steve Dobbs
> .sig? We don't need no stinkin .sig.
> Whoops.

agpgart support can be built into a kernel by adding

	device agp

to your kernel configuration file and recompiling. Alternatively, you
can use the loadable kernel module, with

	kldload /modules/agp.ko

from your favorite shell as root.

Make sure you add

	Option "NoDDC"

to the "Device" section of XF86Config or you will hose your display.
Also, be sure you have a recent version of the XFRee86 port, which has
my patch to make the i810 switch VTs without crashing. Check to make
sure you have the patch in /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4/files/patch-i810,
then build the port with

	make install

from /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4.
--