Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 21:51:31 -0700
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@research.att.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.1.1 breakage: GUS, spash screen, CD writing

Hi,

  I upgraded from a middle-aged 4.0-STABLE (exact age unknown) to
4.1.1-STABLE, and the following things broke:

- My Gravis Ultrasound, which previously never probed, started panicing
the system on attach.  I had to remove (the non-working) pcm frommy
kernel.

- My splash screen doesn't work any more; it just provides a blank screen.
I have a 320x200x8 .BMP file, with the following in loader.conf:

splash_bmp_load="YES"
bitmap_load="YES"
bitmap_name="/boot/dogs.bmp"

I used the "make buildkernel" and "make installkernel" targets,so I
assume my splash_bmp.ko is up to date.

- Burning CD's no longer works with my ATAPI CD-R.  My first attempt
reset the system with no visible messages (I was in X at the time);
further attempts go like:

fenestro% burncd -f /dev/acd1c -s 4 -e data d2.iso eject
acd1: READ_TOC - ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=24 ascq=00 error=00
acd1: READ_TRACK_INFO command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. ata1-master: timeout waiting for command=ef s=10 e=50
done
next writeable LBA 0
writing from file d2.iso size 579020 KB
acd1: WRITE_BIG command timeout - resetting
ata1: resetting devices .. ata1-master: timeout waiting for command=ef s=10 e=50
done
only wrote 0 of 32768 bytes
burncd: open(eject): No such file or directory
fenestro% cdcontrol -f /dev/acd1c eject
acd1: READ_TOC - NO SENSE asc=00 ascq=00 error=00
fenestro%

(I haven't gotten the system to reset again).

I tried rolling atapi-cd.c and atapi-cd.h back to RELENG_4_1_0_RELEASE
but it didn't seem to help.  I'll try rolling them back further to see
if I can track this down.

All of these things worked just peachy pre-upgrade.  It was kind of
a shock to have so much break on what should be such a minor upgrade.
Has anyone experienced these or does anyone have any suggestions on
debugging?

  Bill