Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 1999 14:28:30 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unstable /kernel

Danny wrote:

> - Running FreebSD 3.3
> -Running KDE (one that comes with 3.3)
> -Running a P166
> - Had to reinstall FreeBSD
> -How come ocassionally get:-
>
> "Fault Trap 12 in kernel code"

I see this a lot - I'm suspecting it's a dodgy motherboard in my case
(I swapped the RAM with that from another machine, and the problems
persisted, while the other machine continued to have no problems). I've
ordered a new motherboard - and guess what, as soon as I ordered the new
board, the problems have gone away. I suspect Murphy^WSod's law is in
action.

This is almost certainly a hardware problem, not a FreeBSD problem. If you
can get a kernel dump that shows it is a FreeBSD problem, that would be a
different matter.

> 1)what exactly is the problem with FreeBSD 3.3?
> 2)How can I solve the problem?

Get better hardware. :-) First try the RAM (swap with the RAM from
another machine if possible), if that doesn't work, something else is
wrong.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and