Date:      Sat, 31 Oct 1998 14:07:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kevin Street <street@iname.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   boot loader problems with mix of wd and da

I have some difficulties using the new boot blocks and loader in some
configurations.  I have a backup copy of my root partition on another
drive that causes the loader some problems.

kernel is aout
disks are wd0, wd1, da0, da1 (removable)

I boot through Partition Magic's Boot Manager which lives on wd0.
The normal root is on wd1s2a.  The backup root is on da0s2a.
I've done (after a Nov 10 make world):
  disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 -s /boot/boot2 wd1
  disklabel -B -b /boot/boot1 -s /boot/boot2 da0

The normal boot through wd1 is fine.

If I want to boot my backup root on da0 then the results vary:

1) If I don't have a /boot.config on da0 then it autoboots into /boot/loader,
currdev is set to disk3s2.  It finds /boot/boot.conf ok, loads the kernel
but the kernel boot fails with "changing root device to da2s2a".
(there is no da2).

2) If I do have a /boot.config on da0 with:
  2:da(0,a)/boot/loader
Then it finds and loads the loader, but currdev is set to disk1s2 so it
can't find /boot/boot.conf or anything else.  disk1s2 would actually be the
Boot Manager on wd0.  If I manually change currdev to disk3s2, then I can
load the kernel but boot fails as above.

3) If I interrupt the loading of /boot/loader and instead type in:
  2:da(0,a)kernel
Then everything is fine.  The kernel boot succeeds and correctly does
"changing root device to da0s2a".  (The kernel is compiled with root on
wd1s2a since that's its normal spot).  I suspect this won't work if I
go to an elf kernel since I need to use /boot/loader for elf, right?

So, why is currdev set differently in case 1 and case 2?
Why does /boot/loader confuse the kernel into thinking there's a da2 on
which it might find root?

--
Kevin Street
street@iName.com