Date:      Thu, 13 Nov 1997 16:35:41 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        sef@kithrup.com, jkh@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Pentium lockup fix in FreeBSD

..

> I have been trying to get this working in FreeBSD since last night; right
> now, I'm not sure why what is happening is happening.  But I'm giving up --
> I've had it "explained" to me by Jordan that even if I got it working, it
> would not be considered, because this is simply not anything that anyone
> needs to worry about.

I think we need to give Jordan a big noogey if he indeed said that.  For
many people with shell machines, running 'crashable' in unacceptable,
and if many of the other shell-account OS's allow them to workaround
this bug (albeit with a performance hit, however major or minor) then
they'll simply switch.  Plus, as you pointed out to me in private email,
any programs running as root that are network accessible that have the
possibility of executing instructions (over-writing boundaries, etc..)
are possible targets.

In short, running any sort of public system on a P5 chip w/out the
workaround is simply trouble waiting to happen, and if *we* as FreeBSD
don't provide a fix and others do, we're screwing our customers.

> (And, yes, I find Jordan's attitude that nobody should care, since there are
> other things that can be done to destroy a system, offensive.  Just as
> offensive as Intel's official suggestion that you can always reboot your
> system.)

I disagree with Jordan as well.  The crack/hack has been posted too
widely across the internet so much that even curious folks who normally
wouldn't do malicious things will end up crashing computers 'just to see
if it works'.  How many developers wiped out our boxes out of curiousity
sakes because we didn't believe it could actually kill it?

Nate