Date:      Fri, 05 Apr 2002 16:34:34 -0800
From:      Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
To:        Greg Pavelcak <gpav@som.umass.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use/Utilize

> For my own peace of mind, could someone provide an example where S uses A,
> but S does not utilize A. Or the other way 'round.

Utilising Webster's Online dictionary one finds this use:

{Utility}, {Usefulness}. Usefulness has an Anglo-Saxon
prefix, utility is Latin; and hence the former is used
chiefly of things in the concrete, while the latter is
employed more in a general and abstract sense. Thus, we speak
of the utility of an invention, and the usefulness of the
thing invented; of the utility of an institution, and the
usefulness of an individual. So beauty and utility (not
usefulness) are brought into comparison. Still, the words are
often used interchangeably.