Date:      Wed, 3 Jan 2001 22:51:22 +0530
From:      Suresh Ramasubramanian <mallet@efn.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portmap

Tim McMillen rearranged electrons thusly:

> mentioned there or in /etc/rpc, but how would I know?  I install lots
> of ports to learn about things.  Is there anything unexpected that
> could break if  I put portmap_enable="NO"  in /etc/rc.conf ?

No.. nothing will break.  If you are not running a portmap / sunrpc service,
dont use it :)

from man portmap

> Portmap is a server that converts RPC program numbers into DARPA protocol
> port numbers.  It must be running in order to make RPC calls.

This advice is much more useful if you are running a production machine /
anything on a static (or even a long lease dhcp) IP, unprotected by a firewall.

Leaving several open ports open makes it much easier for some 31337 h4x0r d00d
to break into your machine.

You can do a custom install and choose not to install portmap / run it at
startup ...

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian  <-->  mallet <at> efn <dot> org