Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 2002 08:16:16 +0200
From:      Martin Kahlert <martin.kahlert@infineon.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        netchild@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   first icc did not start, now it does not stop...

Hi!
[I CC'ed the maintainer, because i think there is a bug in the package].

I am trying to get Intel's icc compiler to work.
After downloading l_cc_pu_6.0.159.tar i installed the port
(cd /usr/ports/lang/icc; make install) and added the bin-directory
to my path.

'icc anything' gave me an error like symbol not found: GLIBC-2.1_3
or something like that at startup.
The installed linux_base was the one installed by the 4.6 release
(linux_base-6.1*) of FreeBSD.
nm told me, that the linux libc.so contained only symbols up to
GLIBC-2.1_2. I think the icc package misses a dependency.

So i thought, it would be good to upgrade linux_base and installed
the package linux_base-7.1 (pkg_update linux_base-7.1.tbz)

After that icc started without any error but never stops :-(.
I used the quite simple source
$ cat t.c
int main()
{
 return 0;
}

icc -c t.c
never stopped the compilation.
top told me, that a program mcpcom uses 99% of my CPU.
O.k., it tries hard to do its job - but it could be a bit faster ;-)

Any ideas? I already tried truss 'icc -c t.c' but that looks o.k.
for me.

Thanks for any hint in advance,
Martin.

PS: The compiler works on my SuSE 7.2 Linux system without this problem.
    So the tar file should be o.k.
--
The early bird catches the worm. If you want something else for
breakfast, get up later.