Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2005 10:42:41 +0100
From:      Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@chello.cz>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
Cc:        Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net>
Subject:   Re: Bad disk or kernel (ATA Driver) problem? - SOLVED

# darrylo@soco.agilent.com / 2005-01-20 15:26:21 -0800:
> Karl Denninger <karl@denninger.net> wrote:
>
> > Seagate's have been getting very poor performance reviews of late.....
>
>      Do you have any URLs?  While I haven't been following disk drives
> closely, I haven't seen anything that points at "very poor" performance
> ("average"/boring performance, yes, but nothing really bad).

    I had a Barracuda IV or V that the Samsung I bought as a replacement
    outperforms (e. g. opening a Maildir in mutt) by an order of
    magnitude.  I had to wait *minutes* to get into some of my larger
    maildirs with the Seagate whereas now it's a matter of seconds.

    A test at xbitlabs.com
    (http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/storage/display/21hdd-160_18.html)
    relates large performance differences between Seagate disks to
    firmware revisions. If you buy a drive with the right firmware,
    you'll get decent performance. If you miss, you'll suffer greatly.

--
FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE
10:19AM up 3:02, 4 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.01, 0.00