Date:      Sat, 25 Nov 2000 21:29:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mikhail Kruk <meshko@cs.brandeis.edu>
To:        <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Postgres7 port and general ports rant

Hi,
I couldn't find who is maintaining postgres port so I though I could ask
the question here...
the port seems to ignore make arguments. I tried to to
make -DWITH_JAVA="yes" -DWITH_TCL
(options are approximate, but I used the correct values)
but make did not in fact build tje libpgtcl and did not install java
support. I had to compile libpgtcl manually and insatlled it separately.

In general I feel that the power of ports system is cute misused because
many ports do not provide a clear way to see all the build options and
often by installing port you get the package configured the way
maintainer likes it, and do not even know about other possiblities.

sorry if it's offtopic, or if it's something that has been discussed
millions of times...

also please cc relevant messages to me as I am not subscribed
thank you all
mk