Date:      Wed, 31 Jan 2001 02:26:44 -0500
From:      Tim McMillen <timcm@umich.edu>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>, John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
Cc:        Beau <beau@dentedreality.com.au>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD Documentation

On Tuesday January 30, 2001 20:32, Nik Clayton wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 30, 2001 at 08:52:42AM -0700, John Reynolds~ wrote:
> > The FAQ is also in the same relative path. We should put this into
> > the FAQ as it's becoming a FAQ :)
>
> It's in the FAQ.  Question 17 in the preface.
>
> However, people don't seem to be noticing this, nor do they notice
> the text at the front of the Handbook, and other docs, which explains
> this as well.  At this point, I'd welcome suggestions for ways to
> make this information more obvious.

Making an one document html version available right there like the FAQ
does would be good.
	As long as we are being pedantic and trying to make it easier than
easy, I think this would help:

Have it say:
Download the handbook as one large html document, or it may also be
downloaded in a variety of formats and compression options from the
FreeBSD FTP server or one of the numerous mirror sites.

instead of:
It may also be downloaded in a variety of formats and compression
options from the FreeBSD FTP server or one of the numerous mirror sites.

	Perhaps the section could also use a new paragraph after the reference
to FreeBSD-doc.  Then a little re-arrangement perhaps like:    (sorry
for the plain text, I don't know the code)

Welcome to FreeBSD! This handbook covers the installation and day to
day use of FreeBSD Release 4.2. This manual is a work in progress and
is the work of many individuals. Many sections do not yet exist and
some of those that do exist need to be updated. If you are interested
in helping with this project, send email to the FreeBSD documentation
project mailing list <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org>.
	You can download the handbook as one large <html document>, or it may
also be downloaded in a variety of formats and compression options from
the FreeBSD FTP server or one of the numerous mirror sites.  The latest
version of this document is always available from the FreeBSD World
Wide Web server.
	If you would prefer to have a hard copy of the handbook, you can
purchase one at the FreeBSD Mall. You may also want to Search the
Handbook.

	As it is now in one paragraph it is fairly hard to read.   Just a few
thoughts.

							Tim