Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2001 11:00:44 -0700 (MST)
From:      Les Biffle <les@safety.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   dmesg behaviour

Hi All,

We have a product based on 3.5-stable, and use "dmesg" at startup time
to generate an XML description of the hardware, create interface name
aliases, etc., and it has worked just fine for a couple of years.
We've just purchased a new platform based on the Supermicro 370SSR
motherboard, and we're seeing anomolous behaviour on those systems,
and ONLY on those systems.  On every other system we've used, dmesg
shows all the information from the most-recent boot.  On the supermicro
systems, we may see the information from the last 3 boots!  I see the
lines:

syncing disks... done
Rebooting...

and then we go right into the next boot.  At present, one of the machines
shows all the detail from 2.75 reboots.

How and why is it doing this, and how do I make it stop?

Thanks in advance,

-Les

--
Les Biffle             Community Service...  Just Say NO!
(480) 778-0177    les@safety.net  http://www.networksafety.com/