Date:      Tue, 17 Dec 2002 09:56:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        judmarc@fastmail.fm (Jud)
Cc:        jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu (Jerry McAllister), mikemcg@ucla.edu, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual booting FreeBSD 4.7 and Windows XP

> On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 19:52:02 -0500 (EST)
> Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> > If it finds a bootable slice that it
> > doesn't recognize, it just calls it '???' (but still knows how to
> > load its boot sector and pass off control.  For slices on disks that
> > don't look bootable, it just ignores these and doesn't even list them
> > in the menu.
>
> Strictly speaking, the ??? isn't because the bootloader doesn't
> "recognize" the slice, but that the filesystem it does recognize on that
> slice has more than one name and might belong to one of several
> operating systems.  In the case of NT/W2K/XP, the filesystem is called
> NTFS by MS, HPFS by OS/2, and I believe QNX may use it as well.  Some
> sort of user-configurable name might be built in to the FreeBSD
> bootloader, but AIUI that would be difficult to do within its extremely
> small size.  Grub and other bootloaders do this by means of user config
> files and other pieces that live outside the bootloader itself, and so
> don't have the size limitation.

Yah, I shaved some stuff and lumped things together rather than
making it even longer and less comprehensible to the already confused
person.  Besides, it was beginning to get beyond the details I am
totally clear about.  I wish we could abandon MS (and MS oriented BOIS)
and make a clean start on bootup, memory use, disk addressing, etc.

////jerry