Date:      Fri, 07 Apr 2006 22:31:38 -0700
From:      Ross Finlayson <finlayson@live555.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does the "iwi" driver (Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG) support "hostap"?

> > (If it's not possible to run this driver in "hostap" mode, then how
> > could I configure it to run as an IBSS 'base station' instead?  (The
> > "network-wireless.html" page in the FreeBSD handbook is silent on this
> > point.))
>
>The ath(4) man page has the following example:
>   ifconfig ath0 inet 192.168.0.22 netmask 0xffffff00 ssid my_net \
>   mode 11b mediaopt adhoc
>
>I haven't been able to get iwi(4) working in IBSS mode however.

Neither have I.  ("ifconfig iwi0" tells me that the card is running
in IBSS mode, but no other clients seem to see it.)

It would nice if someone could figure out how to get this working.

(In the meantime, I've placed an order for a different mini PCI card
- the Xterasys XG600 - which uses the Prism chipset, and so should (I
hope) wotk with "hostap".)

         Ross.