Date:      Tue, 2 Jun 1998 21:12:32 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@zwb.net>
To:        font@Mcs.Net (Font)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: popper error

I really don't know much about POP3, or the "auth" command, but QPopper
doesn't support it, 'yet':

pop_auth.c line 19:  auth  : optional command ; Not supported.

Does that answer everyone's questions?

> On Fri, 29 May 1998, Doug White wrote:
> > On Wed, 27 May 1998, pn wrote:
> > > I am recently installed ver. 2.2.6 and keep getting this error msg from
> > > /var/log/messages
> > > host1 popper[5802]: @hosts1.mydomain.com: -ERR Too few arguments for the
> > > auth command.
>
> > You forgot your username in the client config .. ?
>
> I believe Netscape Communicator causes this error to be logged when
> talking with qpopper.  It doesn't cause a problem, so I just ignore
> it.  I've conjectured (but haven't looked at POP3 documentation) that
> Communicator is interrogating the server for a feature qpopper doesn't
> have.   Eudora also works fine, and doesn't generate the error.

Dima Dorfman (dima@zwb.net)

"640k ought to be enough for anybody." - Bill Gates, 1981
Micro$oft Sucks!  FreeBSD Rules!  http://www.freebsd.org/

Finger dima@zwb.net for more information.