Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 16:48:22 -0400 (EDT)
From:      <doug@safeport.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: CVSup is overkill for me

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:

> doug@safeport.com types:
> > 2) What track to follow:
> >      If you are learning and do not want to get bitten by a occasional STABLE
> >      snafu, use the tag RELENG_4_4 (See handbook A.7). This has only security
> >      and critical fixes in it. From my perspective CURRENT is only for the
> >      developer/experts and the warning on STABLE is overly cautious. Even with
> >      that I have a test system that I upgrade first and then used the 'date' tag
> >      to replicate that level to the production systems.
>
> Your perspective on CURRENT is pretty much correct. Anyone tracking
> -current for anything but testing should be capable of at least
> providing good debugging information, and preferably should be able to
> suggest patches for the problem.
>
> The handbook may be overly cautious, but it's better to be incorrectly
> running _4_4 when you can stand the glitches in _4 than to be
> incorrectly running _4 when the glitches in it will be a serious
> problem.

Ja - I agree with this; my comment was just for the mail list. I think since 3.2
when I started there have been less than 6 screw ups. I think I remember that in
all but one case fixes were almost instaneous. My comment was taking note of
this fairly eximpliar record.

> Finally, rather than use the date tag to replicate the level of the
> test system, I prefer to build on one system, and use NFS to export
> that build to all the systems. Since my build system is noticably
> faster than the other systems, this safes time. It also means I'm
> running the exact same bits for world on all the systems, which makes
> me feel a bit better. The downside is that the build system has to
> build for 1) the least common denominator hardware and 2) everything
> that any system will need, but neither is a serious problem.

Again I agree, and do this. However I use date to duplicate the source tree on
my laptop so I can do fixes and update things when I am away from the office.

_____
Douglas Denault
doug@safeport.com
Voice: 301-469-8766