Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 2010 18:53:29 +0100
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: vbox (and qemu) tap/vboxnetflt networking; bridging vs wifi

On Thu, Jan 07, 2010 at 07:58:08PM +0100, Juergen Lock wrote:
> Hi!
>
>  As noted earlier on freebsd-emulation, wifi users have a problem when
> they want to expose a VM guest on their lan:  simply bridging it to the
> wifi interface usually doesn't work because hosts on wifi can only use a
> single mac address.  As I now found out, vbox on (at least) Linux/Windows
> hosts attempts to work around this issue by implementing a shared mac
> feature that gets enabled if you use bridged mode on a wifi nic there,
> so I tried enabling that for FreeBSD hosts too:
> 	http://people.freebsd.org/~nox/vbox/patch-sharedmac.txt
> (patches are under MIT license and for vbox 3.1.2 as featured in the
> recent ports CFT, I haven't checked if they also apply to the older
> version still in ports) - and Beat tested that yesterday since I don't
> have wifi here myself, he couldn't get it working properly.  Maybe the
> FreeBSD vboxnetflt code needs to be adjusted for this too?
>[...]

Indeed it had to (thankx to aeichner from sun who found and fixed the
remaining bug! :) - i.e. bridged mode on wifi should now work in the
emulators/virtualbox-ose* update that beat committed earlier today:
	http://www.freshports.org/commit.php?message_id=201001130803.o0D83HFe012322@repoman.freebsd.org

 Enjoy, :)
	Juergen