Date:      Thu, 11 Sep 1997 00:08:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@counterintelligence.ml.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        David Dawes <dawes@rf900.physics.usyd.edu.au>, Satoshi Asami <asami@cs.berkeley.edu>, FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: My FreeBSD Wish List...

I have worked extensively with some diskless freebsd & linux machines and
a read only /usr is critical, I believe I had to reorganize the /usr a bit
in some cases to achieve this (for instance some of the X11 stuff in usr
that is really specific config files like making /usr/X11R6/bin/X a link
to /var/X11R6/bin/X which links back to the specific X server in
/usr/X11R6/bin) and there are some other things for instance it would be
nice to have an nfs system that would allow exporting of things other than
filesystems since as I understand it you can only have 8 slices on a
physical drive and if you want separate permissions for all of your
diskless machines in /etc/exports to make the system so that only the
machine which mounts its root directory has access to it you need at least
2* the amount of diskless mahcines which could be possibly in the order of
20-30 on a single two gig drive, meaning with the current nfs setup I need
40 filesystems (20 swap 64MB, 20 root 25MB) and I don't really think you
can get that many filesystems on a single disk? (or does someone know
something I don't)