Date:      Thu, 08 Feb 96 21:51:00 W
From:      Angelo Turetta <turetta@stylo.it>
To:        freebsd-hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   IPFW Accounting problem (Yes, again.....)

Well, it's my third attempt on the lists with this subject, I hope this time
someone will try to understand what my problem actually is.

I'm running 2.0.5R as a router, linking the company LAN to  the internet via
a dedicated ppp V34 connection (BTW, thanks to Doug Rabson, I've compiled
the -current version of IIJPPP and it hangs no more on heavy outgoing
traffic: all 2.0.5 users should update their ppp).

I'm trying to use ipfw accounting capabilities to monitor the line usage by
workstation, but every time I try to manipulate the rules, I get the
infamous:

     ipfw: setsockopt failed.

(I remember someone suggested adding some more diagnostic output to error
messages, I agree :-)
No matter what command, I tried 'ipfw f', 'ipfw adda bidirectional all from
0/0 to 0/0 via 194.21.207.250', and others without any luck: only 'ipfw l'
works :-(

Joe Greco confirmed that he got accounting to work on 2.0.5R, so there must
be some option missing (or conflicting) in my kernel configuration.
Anyone can please look at it, and maybe help me make some sense out of this?

=======================================================START OF CONFIG
#
# GENERIC -- Generic machine with WD/AHx/NCR/BTx family disks
#
#    GENERIC,v 1.45.2.3 1995/06/05 21:50:41 jkh Exp
#

machine        "i386"
cpu       "I386_CPU"
#cpu      "I486_CPU"
#cpu      "I586_CPU"
ident          STYLO
maxusers  10

options        MATH_EMULATE        #Support for x87 emulation
options        INET           #InterNETworking
options        FFS            #Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options        NFS            #Network Filesystem
options        MSDOSFS             #MSDOS Filesystem
options        "CD9660"       #ISO 9660 Filesystem
options        PROCFS              #Process filesystem
options        "COMPAT_43"         #Compatible with BSD 4.3
options        "SCSI_DELAY=15"          #Be pessimistic about Joe SCSI
device
#options       BOUNCE_BUFFERS      #include support for DMA bounce buffers
options        UCONSOLE       #Allow users to grab the console
options        GATEWAY

options         IPFIREWALL              #firewall
options         IPFIREWALL_VERBOSE      #.....
options         IPACCT                  #Accounting

config         kernel    root on wd0

controller     isa0
#controller    pci0

controller     fdc0 at isa? port "IO_FD1" bio irq 6 drq 2 vector fdintr
disk      fd0  at fdc0 drive 0
disk      fd1  at fdc0 drive 1
#tape          ft0  at fdc0 drive 2

controller     wdc0 at isa? port "IO_WD1" bio irq 14 vector wdintr
disk      wd0  at wdc0 drive 0
disk      wd1  at wdc0 drive 1

controller     wdc1 at isa? port "IO_WD2" bio irq 15 vector wdintr
disk      wd2  at wdc1 drive 0
disk      wd3  at wdc1 drive 1

#controller    ncr0
#controller    ahc0

#controller    bt0  at isa? port "IO_BT0" bio irq ? vector btintr
#controller    uha0 at isa? port "IO_UHA0" bio irq ? drq 5 vector uhaintr
#controller    ahc1 at isa? bio irq ? vector ahcintr
#controller    ahb0 at isa? bio irq ? vector ahbintr
#controller    aha0 at isa? port "IO_AHA0" bio irq ? drq 5 vector ahaintr
controller     aic0    at isa? port 0x340 bio irq 11 vector aicintr
#controller    nca0 at isa? port 0x1f88 bio irq 10 vector ncaintr
#controller    nca1 at isa? port 0x350 bio irq 5 vector ncaintr
#controller    sea0 at isa? bio irq 5 iomem 0xc8000 iosiz 0x2000 vector
seaintr

controller     scbus0

device         sd0

device         st0

device         cd0  #Only need one of these, the code dynamically grows

#device        wt0  at isa? port 0x300 bio irq 5 drq 1 vector wtintr
#device        mcd0 at isa? port 0x300 bio irq 10 vector mcdintr
#device        mcd1 at isa? port 0x340 bio irq 11 vector mcdintr

#controller    matcd0    at isa? port ? bio

#device        scd0 at isa? port 0x230 bio

# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device         sc0  at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector scintr
# Enable this and PCVT_FREEBSD for pcvt vt220 compatible console driver
#device        vt0  at isa? port "IO_KBD" tty irq 1 vector pcrint
#options       "PCVT_FREEBSD=210"  # pcvt running on FreeBSD 2.1
#options       XSERVER             # include code for XFree86

device         npx0 at isa? port "IO_NPX" irq 13 vector npxintr

device         sio0 at isa? port "IO_COM1" tty irq 4 vector siointr
device         sio1 at isa? port "IO_COM2" tty irq 3 vector siointr
device         sio2 at isa? port "IO_COM3" tty irq 10 vector siointr
device         sio3 at isa? port "IO_COM4" tty irq 9 vector siointr

device         lpt0 at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr
#device        lpt1 at isa? port? tty
#device        lpt2 at isa? port? tty

# Order is important here due to intrusive probes, do *not* alphabetize
# this list of network interfaces until the probes have been fixed.
# Right now it appears that the ie0 must be probed before ep0. See
# revision 1.20 of this file.
#device de0
#device ed0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq  5 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr
device ed1 at isa? port 0x300 net irq  5 iomem 0xd8000 vector edintr
#device ie0 at isa? port 0x360 net irq  7 iomem 0xd0000 vector ieintr
#device ep0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 vector epintr
#device ix0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xd0000 iosiz 32768 vector
ixintr
#device le0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 5 iomem 0xd0000 vector le_intr
#device lnc0 at isa? port 0x280 net irq 10 drq 0 vector lncintr
#device lnc1 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 drq 0 vector lncintr
#device ze0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 5 iomem 0xd8000 vector zeintr
#device zp0 at isa? port 0x300 net irq 10 iomem 0xd8000 vector zpintr

pseudo-device  loop
pseudo-device  ether
pseudo-device  log
pseudo-device  sl   1
# ijppp uses tun instead of ppp device
pseudo-device  ppp  1
pseudo-device  tun  2
pseudo-device  pty  16
pseudo-device  gzip      # Exec gzipped a.out's
pseudo-device  bpfilter  1    #Berkeley packet filter

Thanks in advance.

Angelo.

Angelo Turetta
Stylo Multimedia - http:\\www.stylo.it