Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:26:12 +0200
From:      Ion-Mihai Tetcu <itetcu@apropo.ro>
To:        Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: spam removal

[ Sorry for the delay, I was (and still am) rebuilding everything with
pthread  on my desktop. ]

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 20:37:30 -0800
Gary Kline <kline@thought.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 01:09:11PM +0200, Ion-Mihai Tetcu wrote:
[..]

> 	Hi,
>
> 	I'd be grateful for some tips on how to get dspam up.   I
> 	installed it after reading your mail; then I waded into the
> 	long README and felt nearly overwhelmed.

Yeh, I know. I will hopefully rewrite the readme and add some docs on
the next release.

>  I've used mysql to set up several message boards,, but that's about
>  the extent of my knowledge.

No problem here. The first question is: do you have your mail users in a
mysql database or they are in the system ?

If they are in the system use dspam_2mysql to generate the table for
dpsam from the passwd file, and use dspam_genaliases to generate the
spam aliases for each user to forward the spam to.

As a general note, until you're convince the hole system works ok
compile dpam with verbose_debug. As currently the port doesn't offer
that, just add:

CONFIGURE_ARGS+=--enable-debug \
                --enable-verbose-debug

just above:

.if defined(WITH_MYSQL)

Be aware that this will produce * a lot * of noise on a busy system (It
will log a copy of each mail in /usr/local/etc/dspam/dspam.messages, in
dspam.debug it will log how it applies the algorithms ans some sql debug
info in dspam.messages and the sql queries and results in sql.errors)
And when I say a lot I mean about 100MB for about 10.000 mails.. Also I
would suggest turning off mysql query log if it's on (I nicely run out
of space, for the same amount of messages it eats up about  500MB).

Make an test user so that you don't have all your mails passed to dspam
until it working ok.

> 	I've been using /etc/mail/access that catches tons of
> 	spam.  It would be great if dspam could do the rest!

You can use dspam between your MTA and LDA for local delivery. Or do a
more complex setup and re-inject the mail into the MTA.

Give me some more details, please.

--
IOnut
Unregistered ;) FreeBSD user